Though we may love nature, we also want to control it. Perhaps it is an age-old instinct we can’t do anything about. It would be great to just let nature roam free but that just isn’t realistic when it comes to our living spaces. It seems weeds are a never-ending problem, and not just in the garden. Weeds can crop up anywhere, including our driveways. Many years ago your driveway may have been perfectly smooth and paved, but perhaps nature is now running her course. You need to find the best weed killer for driveways—and fast.
Our review runs the gamut, from weed prevention to weed killer. Read on to learn our choices for the best weed killer for driveways and find the one that will work best for you and your needs.
Best Weed Killer for Driveways Comparison Table
What We Reviewed
BioAdvanced 704140A All-in-One Lawn Weed & Crabgrass Killer
- ALL-in-ONE FORMULA: BioAdvanced's All-in-One formula kills listed lawn weeds and crabgrass without harming the lawn
- WEED KILLER: Kills over 200 listed broadleaf weeds like dandelion and clover PLUS crabgrass
- ROOT KILLER: Kills even the toughest weeds to the root
- RAINPROOF PROTECTION: Systemic rainproof in 1 hour
- RESTRICTIONS: Not for sale in HI, NY, TX
Key features of this product include an all-in-one concentrate that will kill both lawn weeds and crabgrass without harming lawn grass. It kills over 200 of the most commonly found broadleaf weeds such as clovers and dandelions. This best weed killer for driveways is rainproof for one hour after application.
For best results, do not use this product to kill the weeds in your driveway on days hotter than 90 degrees.
Scotts Halts Crabgrass & Grassy Weed Preventer
- One application prevents crabgrass all season long
- Apply in spring to prevent crabgrass and problem weeds all season long
- Fall application prevents winter weeds, such as poa annua, henbit and chickweed
- Rain, snow or freezing weather after application won't affect product performance
- Apply in fall to prevent moss
One application of this product in the early spring prevents crabgrass and grassy weeds from invading your lawn and driveway. After you apply this preventative product, you do not have to worry about the seasons and elements reducing its performance. To prevent moss, apply the Crabgrass & Grassy Weed Preventer in the fall.
Besides this product, you will also need to purchase a spreader if you don’t have one to ensure this best weed killer for driveways is spread evenly on the grass around your driveway
Preen Garden Weed Preventer
- Stop weeds before they start for up to 3 months guaranteed
- Safe for use around over 200 established flowers, vegetables, trees and shrubs
- Apply anytime in spring, summer or fall
- Not for use on lawns
- Weed preventer does not kill existing weeds
Key features of this product include prevention of weeds for up to 3 months after application. This product is rated safe for use around over 200 species of flowers, vegetables, trees, and shrubs so you don’t have to worry as much about doing harm to your garden. Now you will not have to spend time pulling weeds out of your driveway. Though it is not quite the best weed killer for driveways, we rate it as one of the best weed preventers for driveways. Preen works by preventing weeds from rooting. It will not kill weeds you already have.
To apply Preen, first, remove any existing weeds by the root with a clean slate. Second, add a three-inch layer of mulch on top of the area. Mulch helps kill weed seeds as well because it prevents them from getting sunlight. Third, sprinkle Preen on top of the layer of mulch. The 16-lb box comes with a shaker scoop which helps shake out the Pren at the correct rate.
Fourth, after applying Preen, water it within two days. The Preen will fuse with the soil particles to create a barrier that will prevent weed seeds from forming roots. Preen will not wash away, build up in the soil, or get into the groundwater. It is solidly bonded with the soil.
Southern Ag CROSSBOW32 Brush Killer
- Size: 1 Quart
- Controls most unwanted trees and brush.
- Use on rangeland, grass pastures, non-crop areas.
- CONTAINS: 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid, butoxyethyl ester, Triclopyr
- For large quantity discount consideration or to request a mixed multi-pack, please message us.
Crossbow Herbicide from Southern Ag is reportedly very good at killing pesky and invasive species of trees, brush, and brambles. This product comes in concentrate form; look under the label for mixing instructions. This is a heavy hitter and a solid contender for the best weed killer for driveways.
Compare-N-Save Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer
- Rainproof in 2 hours
- Visible results in as little as 2 to 4 days
- Contains 41-percent glyphosate
- Covers over 25,000 square feet
- Makes up to 85 gal. of ready-to-use spray. Note: Packaging may vary
In comparison, the features of this Concentrate Grass and Weed Killer are simple. It kills the plants it touches all the way to the root. This makes it a top choice for the job of best weed killer for driveways. One container mixed with water will make up to 10 gallons of spray solution for an area of up to 3,000 square feet, though for a driveway, you probably won’t need that much.
Mix 1.5 ounces of the solution in one gallon of water for general weed control. Problem solved.
PBI/Gordon 652400 Speed Zone Lawn Weed Killer
- Visible results in hours - Reseed in just two weeks
- Covers from 14,000 to 18,000 square feet - perfect for large property owners
- Rapid and effective weed control for common and troublesome weed species in turfgrass
- Does not harm lawn grasses - Cool Weather Performance
- RESTRICTED: This product can NOT be shipped to the following states: AK, DC, MA, NJ,VT.
Key features of this product include the fact that this concentrate lawn weed killer can handle lawns of up to 18,000 square feet. If you are in Arkansas, Washington Dc, Massachusetts, New Jersey, or Vermont, don’t think about ordering this item because it is restricted in these states. This is a top performer when it comes to killing weed species in turfgrass. It works well and contains 26% ester among other active ingredients.
BioAdvanced Brush Killer Plus
- Special penetrating formula, kills even the toughest plants down to the roots.
- Kills kudzu, poison ivy, poison oak, blackberry and bramble
- Plus kills 70+ Other types of listed weeds and brush
- Rainproof in hours
- Previously sold as Bayer advanced
Key features of this product include a ready-to-use solution with a nested sprayer, which means that unlike many of our other best weed killers for driveways contenders, this one requires no mixing. This convenient product kills over 75 plants down to the roots. You can also kill stumps with this product by brushing over it completely with a paintbrush. It kills tough brush such as poison ivy and poison oak without even so much as a look back to say sorry.
Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer
- Kills weeds and prevents new growth for up to 1 year
- Kills unwanted vegetation from driveways, walkways, patios, fence rows and other areas for up to a year
- Visible results in hours
- Easy to apply with a sprinkling can or a tank sprayer
This “vegetation killer” makes its intentions clear just from the name. It will kill any unwanted vegetation, meaning plants, from your driveway. And not only that, but it will also prevent any new growth for up to one year. For using the concentrate product, mix with water as directed and apply to the desired area using a sprinkling can. It is best applied when it is dry and when it won’t rain for 2-3 days after application.
Roundup Ready to Use Weed and Grass Killer
- Kills existing weeds and grass to the root. Guaranteed! Consumer Guarantee: If for any reason you are not satisfied after using this product, simply send us original proof of purchase and we will replace the product or refund the purchase price.
- Protective Shield fits over weeds to contain spray and help protect desirable plants
- Use in and around vegetable gardens, flower beds, tree rings and mulched beds, as well as on cracks in driveways, walkways and patios
- Visible results in 3 hours
- Rainproof in 10 minutes
Key features of this product include a powerful product that kills weed and grass to the root. You will see visible results within three hours and it is rainproof after 10 minutes. This even comes with a product guarantee. The company will offer a full refund if you are not satisfied for any reason.
Espoma Organic Weed Preventer
- Made from corn gluten meal
- Feeds lawns to ensure a deep, green color and prevents weeds by inhibiting root development in seedlings
- Apply twice per year, early spring and fall
- Granulated for easy application, Espoma Organic Weed Preventer provides long lasting nitrogen for a thicker, greener lawn
- Children and pets can safely play on lawn after application.
This last choice for the best weed killer for driveways is not actually a killer but a preventer. Espoma is made from corn gluten meal and prevents weeds by stopping root development in seedlings. This product also helps your yard look lush and green. This product is applied twice yearly in the spring and the fall. Best of all, because it is organic, children and pets can safely use the yard after application.
Best Weed Killer for Driveways FAQ
1. What Is Weed Killer?
Weed killer is commercial herbicide. Some of these weed killers are contact-only, meaning they only kill what they come into contact with and allow for regrowth later. Others are residual, meaning they leave a residue in the soil which keeps weeds from growing for a long time.
2. How Can I Prevent Weeds from Growing in My Driveway?
There are a number of different methods available. If your driveway is concrete, you can fill the cracks in your driveway with a cement crack filler.
To prevent future weeds, you must pull the weeds in your driveway before they sprout seeds. When this happens, it is too late and they will spread to other areas. It is important to wipe down weeding and other gardening tools after each use. Weed seeds could hide on your tools and you could transport them from one place to another.
Before you turn to the herbicides on our list, you could also try salting the area. But keep in mind that in the places where you salt the earth nothing will grow, so be careful you do not salt anywhere where desirable plants are growing
3. How Many Applications Will It Take to Kill the Weeds with Weed Killer?
This is a fairly easy job for some products that can take on a lot more if need be. It should only take one application, but stubborn weeds may need several applications.
4. How Offen Do I Need to Apply the Best Weed Killer for Driveways?
Some products require application after 1 week while others only need it twice a year.
5. Where Can I Buy the Best Weed Killer for Driveways?
You can buy the best weed killer for driveways on Amazon. Bare in mind that some of these products are hazardous and have restrictions upon them, such as ground shipping only or are restricted by certain states.
How We Reviewed
The following products were reviewed based on the following parameters: Features, Pros & Cons, and Where to Buy. We also considered the suitability of each product for the specific task of killing weeds in driveways to decide the best weed killer for driveways.
We cannot recommend solely relying on the best weed killers for driveways. Salting and hand-pulling weeds are always a good first resort before breaking out highly chemicalized products
We love organic weed prevention products such as Epsoma’s Organic Weed Preventer that pose no health hazards and still get the same great results as the chemical options.
But if it is too late for your driveway and replanting and repaving is not an option, we recommend going with Ortho GroundClear Vegetation Killer for small spot jobs on your driveway. This stuff will get it done and get your driveway back into shape.
As we stated above, it is best to treat your driveway when it is hot and when it won’t rain for several days for the most successful application.
We cannot recommend Monsanto’s products as they have been shown to be extremely toxic to human health with repeated use. We cannot promote the generics of their products, either.