Whether you’ve got a fixer-upper or are looking to design something entirely new, you’ll need the best home design software to bring your visions into reality. Home design software is a valuable asset to any DIYer, professional builder, or designer because of the unique and inspiring features they offer.
Here we’ll detail the best home design software for projects big and small, indoor and out. We’ll go through some of the most frequently asked questions then present to you our master list of the best home design software options for your DIY project.
Top Home Software Comparison Table
Home Design Software FAQ
Many people ask similar questions about home design software. In this section, we aim to answer these most popular questions about the best home design software options.
1. What Is Home Design Software?
Home design software is any computer program that helps to build, design, layout, change, or alter an interior or exterior space around a home. All these programs have roots in the traditional CAD (computer-aided design) software that launched in the 1960s.
2. How Can Home Design Software Help Me?
Through the use of three-dimensional and two-dimensional renderings, drawings provide accurate interpretations of what the finished building or design will look like. From a structural perspective, design software helps plan location elements for utility features, walls, ceilings, floors, stairs, floor plans, decks, balconies, and a variety of landscaping ideas.
In the design realm, the best design software will provide customization tools to change colors and textures of the spaces and provide large graphics galleries. These galleries offer furniture, decor, and accent elements to design the space before spending any money.
3. What Is the Best Home Design Software?
Finding the best home design software largely depends on you and your project. Some of the best home design software options require a basic understanding of CAD software whereas others are easier to use. If you have time to learn a more complicated program, these programs could work for you. If not, we’d recommend seeking a program suitable for beginners.
Each program has its own set of features. More complicated programs might offer many unnecessary features unneeded for your specific project. Check out our reviews to learn what the software can and cannot do.
The final important consideration to make pertains to the equipment you’ll use to run the best home design software. Always check to see if your computer specifications are compatible with the software before buying. Sometimes, software developers do not allow for product returns. This is particularly the case with software that is downloaded. Most of the best home design software functions with Windows, but the Windows versions vary. Some software works with Apple computers, but there aren’t as many options.
4. Where Can I Buy Home Design Software?
Amazon sells all the best home design software options in this review. Other developer specific software websites also offer home design software options. Be careful when downloading software online. Be sure to only download from reputable sources to protect your computer.
How We Reviewed
We found the best home design software by analyzing features, pros, cons, price, and system requirements. We scoured through dozens of programs to see only those that provide the best features for indoor and outdoor planning and that accommodate a variety of project needs and budgets.
Overall Price Range
Prices for the best home design software range from free to a premium price. The more expensive programs offer the most features and are of professional, build quality. These programs include all the elements necessary to build a house from the ground up or gut an existing space.
Many novices and newbies to DIY renovations must cut costs, and some of the best home design software is expensive. We’ve included a variety of free and affordable options mixed in with more expensive programs. If you are looking for ways to save money on your project, investigate the free versions first to see if they will work for you.
What We Reviewed
Sweet Home 3D
- Draw walls and rooms on one or more levels
- Arrange doors, windows and furniture in the plan
- Customize colors and texture of furniture, walls, floors and ceilings
- View all changes simultaneously in the 3D view
- Import more 3D models and textures, and export plans and renderings
Sweet Home 3D is easy-to-use interior design software for remodeling projects. This basic program is best suited for simple changes that need to happen quickly.
Features include single or multi-level wall and room drawing, door and window arranging, and floor, wall, ceiling, and furniture color and texture customizing. Designs are viewable in three-dimensional and two-dimensional overview formats.
Amazon sells a download of Sweet Home 3D for at an affordable price. This program is downloadable for free from the developer’s website; however, the purchase prices gives you a selection of furniture and fixtures to insert into your renderings.
Sweet Home 3D operates on Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10, and XP. The download of the software is 149 MB and available to US residents only.
Chief Architect Home Designer Suite
If you will spend a little more and invest more time in learning a program, the Chief Architect Home Designer Suite may be the way to go. This program offers a clean and crisp graphic design quality imagery for your remodeling or architectural project. The program includes a library filled with over 6,000 options to accent your creation.
Features for the Chief Architect Home Designer Suite are inbuilt templates, custom options, three-dimensional and two-dimensional viewing, auto generators for roofs, stairs, foundations, framing, dimensions, decks, and terrains. This software allows several viewing options to see what your creation will look like at different times of the day and from different points of view. All designs are fully exportable to your mobile devices for on-the-go 360-degree views of your new home or garden design
Amazon sells the Chief Architect Home Designer Suite for at an affordable price.
The Chief Architect Home Designer Suite runs on Windows 7, 8, and ten along with Mac OS X.
Anuman Interactive Home Design 3D
- In 2D, you can draw rooms, create openings, and now add single and small walls.
- You can just as easily change the height or the thickness of the walls, the shape of the room itself, ...
- By simply dragging/dropping, make your choice from among hundreds of objects and pieces of joinery proposed and change both the interior and exterior of your home.
- Upgrade to 3D mode and get the most out of your project. Thanks to its all-new 3D engine, you can take a look at an impressive photo-realistic preview of your project.
- Choose from the textures to customize your project either by double tapping or with a simple drag & drop.
Anuman Interactive Home Design 3D is one of the most popular options among all the best home design software, and it’s free to try before you buy. It isn’t any wonder why. This software and app offer all the most widely used features for revamping a home or property for a low price.
The free version offers a two-dimensional and three-dimensional floor plan arrangements, furniture and decoration libraries, edits for all design elements, and functional importing and exporting to ensure your project is safe and in your hands when you need them to be. This app can be used both as a game and as a design software—further proof of its ease of use. It’s worth it to go for the Gold Edition when you are using this to plan a project because your designs won’t save on the Premium Edition.
Amazon provides access to the Premium Edition for free. The Gold Edition that includes even more insertable objects and more floor plans costs at an affordable price.
Anuman Interactive Home Design 3D is available for iOS, Android, PC, and Mac.
NCH Software DreamPlan Home Design and Landscaping Software
- Software for home design, remodeling, interior design, kitchens and baths, decks and landscaping, and cost estimation
- Take a virtual tour and use 3D views to know exactly what your project will look like before you build
- Design in 2D and 3D or both simultaneously; built-in style templates; 6,000+ library items
- Intuitive design and smart building tools for your home projects; powerful deck and patio tools; Plant Chooser offers 1,500+ plant options
- Get started quickly with easy how-to videos that offer step-by-step instructions; includes free technical support
Another free home design software program is the NCH DreamPlan Home Design and Landscaping program. It’s a simple program that doesn’t offer a ton of exceptional features, but it’s a good value for simpler projects. It’s easy to use which helps gets projects finished faster.
DreamPlan can create plans to alter interior and exterior spaces. The program comes equipped with several options for furniture, fixtures, decorations, and plants. One of the best features of this freeware program is the option to switch between three-dimensional and two-dimensional viewing. Many DIY renovators use this program when sprucing up a kitchen, bath, or lawn.
DreamPlan Home Design Software is free for non-commercial use in download form.
DreamPlan software for home and landscaping can be downloaded onto a Mac 10.5 or higher and Windows 7, 8, 10, Vista, or XP. Computer requirements include a Core 2 Duo, 512MB RAM, 20MB hard disk, and a 64MB video card.
Punch! Home and Landscape Design Essentials
- Design or renovate the home of your dreams with our simple to use interface, drag and drop features and one mouse click design capabilities! No design experience required!
- Contains a wealth of tools and top features for designing new home plans and renovations inside and out.
- It's easy to get started! Create your own home plans, use our editable floor plans and layouts or take pictures of an existing room and add design features and details.
- Save time and money by visualizing your 2D and 3D designs and estimating costs before you begin.
- Includes how-to video tutorials, user forum and free technical support to provide help when needed
The Home and Landscape Design Essentials software by Punch! is loaded with essential features to get your next project off the ground. The simple drag-and-drop features make editing and rearranging simple to do. The software gives access to two-dimensional and three-dimensional renderings to provide access to a more realistic view of the alterations. Punch! Includes free video tutorials to help you get started with the program.
Punch! Home and Landscape Design Essentials costs at an affordable price.
Home and Landscape Design Essentials by Punch! is compatible with Windows computers running Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, and 10. This program is only available to users in the US.
Virtual Architect Ultimate Home Design with Landscaping and Decks 8.0
- Easy! No design experience necessary.
- Fast! Wizard-driven interface means quick results!
- Fun! Use digital photos to make over any room.
- Powerful! Enhanced 3D technology takes photorealism to a new level.
- Flexible! Perfect for home and interior design, remodeling and landscaping.
Virtual Architect Ultimate Home Design with Landscaping and Decks 8.0 by Nova Development is marketed to be an easy-to-use program, and it is if you already have a basic understanding of CAD software. For everyone else, this program may not flow as smoothly.
For those of you who have a firm grasp on CAD, we’d recommend checking out Virtual Architect Ultimate Home Design with Landscaping and Decks 8.0. It has a fast, Wizard-driven interface, uses digital photos, and assists with a vast library filled with 3D graphics to make your remodeling or building project come to life.
Virtual Architect Ultimate Home Design with Landscaping Decks 8.0 costs at an affordable price on Amazon.
This program will run on Windows 7, 8, 10, and Vista.
Chief Architect Premier
- Professional home-design software for the serious DIY home enthusiast
- Tools for home design, remodeling, interior design, decks, landscaping, and cost estimation
- Create accurately scaled floor plans and elevations that automatically generate 3D models
- Get started quickly with easy how-to videos that offer step-by-step instructions; includes free technical support
- Product includes a DVD and a Product Key. The Product Key can be used as a download option from ChiefArchitect/download if you don’t have a DVD drive
Chief Architect Premier is the best home design software for DIYers with some cash to invest. Although the program costs substantially more than any other option in this review, the price is worth it for the user-friendly interface and a plethora of design features and planning options.
If you are committed to building a new space, Chief Architect Premier can bring your plans alive. It comes with tools to design houses in automated and manual formats, auto roofing, flooring, foundations, ramps, and staircases, and modern interior design features.
Chief Architect Premier at an affordable price on Amazon.
Chief Architect Premier is compatible with Mac OS X, and Windows 7, 8 and 10.
Encore Home Architect Home Design Deluxe 9
- Includes ready-made home plans and rooms and a large library of appliances, furnishings, and more
- View various remodeling options using the wide variety of material templates
- Choose from thousands of furnishings, textures, and color combinations
- Intuitive interface provides you with tools to plan, visualize and execute your home design ideas
- When your home design is complete, take a 3D walk-through tour
The Encore Home Architect Home Design Deluxe 9 is an interior designer’s delight featuring a 3D walk-through tours, remodeling recommendations, templates, and customizable color and texture features.
On Amazon, 3D Home Architect Home Design Deluxe 9 costs at an affordable price.
Encore’s 3D Home Architect functions on Mac OS X and Windows XP Professional, XP Home Edition, and XP.
Total 3D Home Design Deluxe
- Home-design software for creating the home of your dreams
- Search through 14,000 sample plans or scan and trace your own
- Visualize your home design and decorate and furnish with realistic 3D objects
- Simply drag-and-drop SmartRoom Blocks to create complete rooms automatically
- Import digital photos; custom 3D design tools; helpful video tutorial
Total 3D Home Design Deluxe is one of the older home design software options on this list, but it still is worth a mention due because it is so easy to use. The program offers a great selection of sample plan templates and allows for customized entries. The 3D design elements are a little out-of-date, but this program works well for basic layouts.
Amazon sells Total 3D Home Design Deluxe for at an affordable price.
Total 3D Home Design Deluxe works on Windows 7, 10, and XP.
HGTV Home & Landscape Platinum Suite 3.0
- Easy! No Design experience Necessary.
- Fast! Wizard-driven interface means quick results!
- Innovative! Use your own digital pictures to makeover any room.
- Powerful! Photorealistic 3D technology with virtual walkaround.
- Flexible! Perfect for home and interior design, remodeling, landscaping and much more.
HGTV Home & Landscape Platinum Suite 3.0 is an updated version of the DIYer classic with full-spectrum use for indoor and outdoor applications. With a “virtually limitless” choices to update or erase your current layouts and designs, HGTV Home & Landscape Platinum is suitable for remodeling, creating, and landscaping.
The Platinum Suite 3.0 displays imagery in two-dimensional or three-dimensional photorealistic form. It’s entirely Wizard-Driven, with an easy-to-use drag-and-drop interface. Import photos, calculate cost estimates, insert furniture and fixtures, create virtual tours, and browse an extensive plant encyclopedia within the program to layout and create the home of your dreams.
Amazon sells HGTV Home & Landscape Platinum Suite 3.0 for at an affordable price.
To run the HGTV Home & Landscape Platinum Suite 3.0 you must have Windows XP, Vista, or 7 with 1 GB RAM, DVD-ROM drive, color monitor with 1024 by 768 or higher display resolution. You will need internet to access certain design features. This software is available in disc form only.
Finding the best home design software for your project is as simple as knowing what changes you aim to make. Some of the best home design software options on our list are better for builders while others are better for designers. Think about the features you need most before buying a design program and don’t forget to check your computer specs.
Last update on 2021-01-26 at 10:33 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API